Friday, January 25, 2008

Poets and Poetry

I am not sure when it began or even how it began. While we had done our share of reading poetry with the girls, Daffodils and The Charge of the Light Brigade and even Home They Brought Her Warrior Dead and (my grandfather's and my own favorite) Lochinvar we hadn't tried to write poetry together.

Both Roz and Max have kept diaries (which I am still not permitted to read) from nearly when they first learnt to write. One day they just began writing poems. Max particularly went on a poetry writing spree - so much so, that at times when she was too restive and bugged me, I'd say why don't you write a poem. Of course her response was always "Give me a topic." Having already run through sister, school, trains (we were riding one at that time), I suggested family. And here's the poem she wrote on the fly (no rhyming dictionaries or Google!) - I have tried not to analyze it too deeply. And dear reader I will let you draw your own conclusions.
Family
I think my father's a vampire
’Cause he says he owns an empire
I think my mother's a fairy
But fairies aren't that hairy
I think my uncle's a troll
But he looks more like a mole
I think my aunt's a monster
But she's more like a disaster
I think my grandma's a witch
’Cause she sleeps in a dark ditch
I think my grandpa's a wizard
’Cause he can stop a blizzard
I think my cousin's a sorcerer
But sometimes he's more of a lecturer
I think my brothers a devil
’Cause he says he wants to be a rebel
And me...
As
you can see
I’m an angel!

2 comments:

Aditi Das Patnaik said...

Lovely, and i think Max has a long way to go. I wonder if you liked "The Highwayman".

Anuj Valmiki said...

A little correction - "Lovely and i think Max has found her highway!" She can go places with her poetic talent for sure...